Sunday, April 22, 2012

Intro

     Growing up, I always loved trying to imitate every voice I heard. Whether it was driving my family crazy with a British accent during a road trip, or reciting made up 'Shakespearean' poetic nonsense, I always enjoyed using my voice to make my family laugh. This was fun as a kid, but I never thought there would be a future in this silliness. Through the years I started recording myself either making up accents, creating fake radio shows or a combination of the two, I could entertain myself this way for hours.
     This was fun, but I never thought this could make me money one day. A year ago, my sister bought me a ticket to an informational session about Voice Overs. I went and loved every minute of it. It was like making my childhood fun into a legitimate career. A few days later I signed up for a Voice Over training school (Voice Coaches) and I was finally training to become a Voice Actor. There were three sessions and there, the coaches showed me how to read copy (script for voice overs) and to slow down and use inflection to express different emotions and the importance of a cold read. These sessions taught me that I couldn't simply make money reading words, I had to become an actor, and live those words and make them come to life. So I began to read out loud and study voice acting leading up to the recording of my demo.
     The demo recording was my first real chance to be directed through copy. The experience itself was enough to keep the dream of being a Voice Actor alive: I loved every second of it. I had my demo and I was on my way, http://joemurphy.icanvoice.com/. Marketing is, in my mind the most important and the hardest part of being a Voice Actor, because no matter how good you are, you will never get anywhere if no one hears your demo.   

No comments:

Post a Comment